April 24, 2011

Lest we Forget the Daisies

With all the tweets about Easter and chocolate goodies, it's sometimes easy to forget what this holiday is all about. Religious or not, it's a good time to connect with family and friends even if for a night of drinks (or tea). It's nice to kick back and reminisce on your youth (and have those people in your life remind you of the times you may have forgotten about) both good and bad.

Today is also Anzac Day in Australia/New Zealand and I had the honour of experiencing this first hand last year when I was in Melbourne. I remember waking up at 4am to head to the dawn service where hundreds of Aussies gathered around a monument for the ceremony and two minutes of silence.
I have never felt so solemn as I did that morning watching the sunrise...



And here I am one year later, thinking back to that day and being thankful for all the amazing things that came my way since that sunrise. One person in particular who made my Melbourne experience was Gillian. She not only was my personal tour guide when I first arrived in Melbourme, but the perfect piece of home.


She gave me a home when I needed it, was an awesome travel companion, and cooked so many yummy meals that made my soul feel good. She even made a giant Easter feast and invited every Aussie and Canadian  she knew down under to enjoy it. (and trust me when I say, it was definitely enjoyed!)

The woman can cook up a storm I tell you! She always has so many tricks up her sleeve and I insisted that she start a blog so people like me could follow along. I helped document her first recipe which was a 'Ginger Soy Glazed Salmon' (I loved it so much, featured it on Chickadvisor). 
Since then, she has started her own website called One Blonde Chef where you can read all about her cooking experiments. She also recently entered this Philli competition and has been shooting and editing all her own videos with a new recipe every week. Check it out here! I'm so proud of her. 

Have you been thinking about starting a blog? Stop thinking and start doing! If photos are your thing, tell me your story through images. If there is something you're passionate about, geek out. I've been blogging since my first year of University in 2004 and it's so fun to look back at all the memories. Think of it as a Digital Scrapbook to your life. Still not convinced? Get in touch with me and I'd be happy to help you get started :) 

Happy Easter friends. Get outside and smell the damn daisies. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Damn it. I want to keep a blog, but I'm just so busy lately I haven't had time to do anything about it. Having said that, I am a firm believer in th concept that we make time for whatever is important to us, so as soon as I develop my film, I'm in...

Keep up the good work, and keep Gill cooking!

Unknown said...

Oops, I seem to have dropped this... "e"...

Related Posts with Thumbnails